Letter to an Atheist

In a recent online NewsForum, amidst engaging conversation concerning the Middle East, Iraq, and Islam, I soon found myself prodded with inquiries as to my own "religious leanings." This naturally was a consequence of having answered and offered commentary regarding specific inquiries surrounding matters of the aforementioned triumvirate (the Middle East, Iraq, Islam). The instant I divulged my discipleship to Jesus Christ and adherence to His Holy Writ, I was rewarded immediately with both respect and scorn. This is to be expected, of course, and all the more when the medium of discourse is a web-based global discussion forum.
...In effect, an initially healthy debate centered on politics and religion (involving several individuals and myself) soon turned vitriolic as one gentleman in particular began an assault on Christianity in general, then launched specific attacks on Holy Scripture, Christ, and ultimately upon my own person. A self-described evolutionist, anthropologist, and geologist, the gentleman admitted he was no theologian yet insisted upon the irrelevancy of Christian/religious texts and philosophies concerning the realm of science, while subtly implying an overall irrelevancy. Our "debate" spanned several days and covered much territory (to the benefit of many on the sidelines I am certain) as he played to his perceived strengths and attempted to discredit the Biblical Creation model and to edify Darwinist evolution. Often we simply had different interpretations of the same physical evidence. Whereas evolution-based interpretations are legion, heavily biased, and porous, I proved that a sound understanding of Scripture and legitimate sciences leads to a position of solidarity unifying the Biblical and scientific, a circumstance appealing to the core intellect and human spirit.
...Unable to gain an advantage in the arena of evidences and argumentation, my antagonist fell to emotive expression and our cordial parley disintegrated. What follows is my final response, which generated a surprisingly positive stir within the forum... even the venom ceased to flow (at least for a day) following my departure.

"Hmm. Interesting change of tone on your part. The last post I responded to of yours I closed stating my appreciation of your courtesy. Suddenly, the tone of your most recent posts addressed to me has deteriorated. It is evident that your mental state is unraveling toward frustration due to my continued 'defense of my faith.' You clearly put your faith in physical evidence and concrete visible proofs that conform only to your own slant. You have demanded I give you such evidence that I myself have researched, yet you attempt to denounce, twist, or deny anything I offer. Why feed the animal more than it needs? You do not need more physical evidence to be convinced of anything, and this is not a refusal to offer further acquiescence due to having nothing further to offer. I simply refuse because you have now revealed your true state of mind.
..."Like the Romans at their height, you spend too much time at the Forum. You seek only to have an outlet to convince yourself and others of your own knowledge, rather than truly seeking further knowledge beyond that which you already know. Since our discussion began you have stated a few times that you do not regard the Bible or religious texts as being worthy of, or within, the realm of science, and that by quoting Scripture one effectively removes oneself from said realm. Fair enough. This proves, however, your own ignorance on spiritual matters and your fear to confront such matters. Why would that be? I have laid it out for you in several prior posts, and it is clearly wearing you down. Why? The truth is this: you deny Truth and its Author, Jesus Christ.
..."You also wish to keep your arguments grounded in physical evidence, further proving your ignorance of spiritual matters, particularly Scripture. I have effectively highlighted where your worldview is flawed, and what you must do to remedy the situation. Perhaps eventually you will consider all that has been revealed to you, for you are now more accountable to Truth for having been exposed to it so blatantly. Ignoring the spiritual side of the argument has led to your frustration; you are looking at only one side of reality when there are two, physical and spiritual. To deny or ignore one side results in blindness to the one you claim to be privy to. In being privy to both sides, I find that most physical sciences point to the reality of God and His revelation of history found in His Word. You, however, are so entranced by physical evidences fitting into YOUR worldview that you are unwilling to see anything else; a flawed worldview indeed, akin to those who tolerate all faiths but Christianity while claiming total tolerance.
..."Your desperate attempts to distract my focus from your spiritual deficiency are not lost on me, it merely reveals Truth to both of us. You choose to deny it and lash out in anger. We all succumb to negative human emotions at times, a result of the Curse you wish to also deny. Though you are unlikely to engage in a sudden discourse of theology, as you currently lack the faculties of understanding necessary to partake of such a lofty arena, I pray you would choose to attain such faculties. Moreover, I pray that sooner than later you allow the Truth to set you free... but until then you will grapple with your inner turmoil increasingly after having been exposed to specific diagnosis of your spiritual condition, the remedy being a simple confession to Jesus Christ of your proud anti-Christ stance followed by asking Him for eternal forgiveness and entry into the Kingdom of Heaven. I know you are bound by pride at the moment, but in time you shall repeatedly return to this discussion and its gravity. Again, the Truth will set you free, requiring only a new perspective and a willingness to consider it.
..."No points are received for how much physical evidence you can cite or how precisely you can dissect another worldview in an attempt to rid yourself of its haunting Truth. Would you be convinced if Christ Himself were sending you posts in this forum? Likely not, for He would quote Scripture and you would ignore it as you ignore other voices He may use to reach you. Therein rests the paradox; He allows us the choice to determine our destiny so that those who would choose to serve Him are legitimately saved by His grace, and those who choose to reject Him are legitimately damned by their own choice. Absurd? No. It is divinely poetic justice."

2 comments:

Mark said...

Jon,
I visited your blog yesterday. I got it off a like from Beauty for Ashley. I created a shortcut on my desktop to spend more time there latter. 10 years ago I was studing engineering and writing a lot of creation stuff like your last entry. Now I'm a little too short on time to get the research done that I'd like to do. The last one that I made an effort on was "why I decided to be prolife" its in the June 06 archive. Now I mostly do small hit and run as some scripture grabs hold and won't let go.
We'll definately talk more. Oh yeah I almost forgot. I have learned lately to title my posts in such a way as too show up in search engines. There has been some "cold calling" long ons. The whole reason for posting at all is to spread the truth among to lost. :-). YA gotta just love living in times like these and knowing our Lord.
At his and your service, Mark www.meditationsfromtheshirdshift.blogspot.com/

Brandon said...

Lay the smackdown!